Communities have always needed to establish their borders. The Saxons indicated their boundaries by describing obvious landmarks in the Anglo-Saxon Charters and some of these remain visible to this day.
Much of England had been enclosed – that is divided into separate fields – since medieval times, but in the eighteenth century enclosure by agreement began to give way to enclosure by act of Parliament. The enclosures in Fovant and the neighbouring villages were described in the Enclosure Awards of 1787.
Click on the links below to examine more information on the old boundaries to our village.