According to the National Monuments Record Centre in Swindon, Fovant has the following historically ‘listed’ buildings. Those that have been altered throughout their existence have a range of dates shown before their entry. The information from the Record Centre is dated 1995 – there may have been updates since then:

13th, 14th, late 15th, mid 19thSt. George’s Church
16thThe Cottage, Brook Street
1600–66The Firs (formerly known as Hart’s House)
17th, 18th, 19thCross Keys Hotel
1699Ings Farmhouse
late 17thThe Cottage, High Street (now known as Vine Cottage – formerly the village shop)
mid 17thOakhanger Barn
17thElm Cottage
17th, 18thFovant House (now reverted to its former name The Old Rectory).
17thThe Manor House
early 19thThe Old Rectory (now reverted to its former name Fovant House).
early 19thThe Chapel
late 18thThe Pembroke Arms
1840West Farmhouse
1800–40Mill House (it was a corn mill)
1860Gerrard’s Farmhouse and outbuildings

Also historically ‘listed’ are:

CenturyTombs, etc.
17th, 18thBody tomb 1666 for Joy, and chest tomb for John Strong, died 1771, 4m south of the south aisle.
1772Chest tomb of William Newborough, situated 18m south of the tower.
1793Chest tomb of John Clement, situated 0.5m east of the chancel.
19thChest tomb for Thomas Goodfellow, died 1829, situated 5m south of the south aisle.
late 18thMilestone, 150m west of West Farm
17th, 19thStocks – two limestone pillars, at junction of the High Street with Shaftesbury Road.

Building records


February 2006