[Buildings - Listed Buildings]

Listed Buildings

According to the National Monuments Record Centre in Swindon, Fovant has the following historically ‘listed’ buildings. Those that have been altered throughout their existence have a range of dates shown before their entry. The information from the Record Centre is dated 1995 – there may have been updates since then:

Century Building
13th, 14th, late 15th, mid 19th St. George’s Church
16th The Cottage, Brook Street
1600–66 The Firs (formerly known as Hart’s House)
17th, 18th, 19th Cross Keys Hotel
1699 Ings Farmhouse
late 17th The Cottage, High Street (now known as Vine Cottage – formerly the village shop)
mid 17th Oakhanger Barn
17th Elm Cottage
17th, 18th Fovant House (now reverted to its former name The Old Rectory).
17th The Manor House
early 19th The Old Rectory (now reverted to its former name Fovant House).
early 19th The Chapel
late 18th The Pembroke Arms
1840 West Farmhouse
1800–40 Mill House (it was a corn mill)
1860 Gerrard’s Farmhouse and outbuildings

Also historically ‘listed’ are:

Century Tombs, etc.
17th, 18th Body tomb 1666 for Joy, and chest tomb for John Strong, died 1771, 4m south of the south aisle.
1772 Chest tomb of William Newborough, situated 18m south of the tower.
1793 Chest tomb of John Clement, situated 0.5m east of the chancel.
19th Chest tomb for Thomas Goodfellow, died 1829, situated 5m south of the south aisle.
late 18th Milestone, 150m west of West Farm
17th, 19th Stocks – two limestone pillars, at junction of the High Street with Shaftesbury Road.

Further research is in progress to obtain more up to date information.

Click on the links below to find more information on the listed buildings:

Buildings reports

J.O.H.
February 2006

Content last updated
29 October 2015

Home | Available pages | Credits | Top of page